- 1 Tbsp shortening
- 8 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup butter, softened at room temp
- 1 1/4 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (substituted for 1/2 c. sour cream)
- 1/2 cup boiling water
2. Melt the shortening in a small saucepan over low heat, stir in the cocoa powder and mix well. Allow to cool slightly.
3. In another bowl, beat the butter and brown sugar for approx. 2 minutes. Add the eggs and beat until smooth. Beat in the vanilla and cooled cocoa.
4. Add about a third of the flour mixture to the bowl, along with 1/4 c. mayo, and stir. Add another third of the flour mixture along with the remaining 1/4 c. mayo, and stir again. Finish up by adding the rest of the flour mixture, and stirring until well combined.
5. Stir in the boiling water. Pour the batter into a greased and floured 8×8 pan.
6. Bake at 375* for approx. 35 min., or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center.