Thursday, January 10, 2008

Sensational Salad

I have shared previously how challenged I was as a newlywed in the cooking area. I've almost been disowned by my family over this, but I don't like tomatoes, but neither does dear husband, so as a tomato less family, we are fine! So in the beginning my salad entree consisted of iceberg lettuce. And that was it! If I felt adventurous, I would put some cucumbers in there, but not often.
I'm not sure how it all came about, but through the years after learning about healthy living, living foods etc, I have adapted our salad routine some. Now I only use dark green lettuce ( romaine, spring mix, field greens etc.) and mix raw spinach in with it. Here is a list of other ingredients to add:

lettuce (the deeper the color, the more nutritional value)
spinach
green onions
shredded carrots
red bell pepper
broccoli pieces
mozzarella or Parmesan cheese
sunflower seeds

Mix all together for a fabulous salad. Sometimes I add chopped apple or strawberries if there are some around. You can mix and match with any ingredients. Trust me - you can't mess up a salad!

2 comments:

Angela said...

Thanks for your encouraging comments about my blog. You have no idea what they meant to me.
P.S. I always put craisins in a salad.

BloggyMom said...

Yummy!! I love a great salad. In college I ate a salad twice a day (thanks to their wonderful salad bar).

In the summer, thanks to our vege garden in our backyard, we eat a salad almost every night-- my six year old loves them (how weird is that).