Saturday, September 12, 2009

Ham and Rice

In the early days of homemaking, I was a very inexperienced cook. Recipes consisted of exact directions with no creativity at all! My sister in law was the exact opposite and could whip up a delicious meal with ingredients I would never thought would go together. She showed me this easy dish which is a great way to use leftover ham. This recipe works best with a bone in ham. Oh, and through the years, I've learned a few things to add to add creativity to my dishes!! This is one of my sons favorite meals:

Ham and Rice

Place ham bone with meat still on it in a pot 1/2 filled with water. Add chopped onions and a bay leaf if desired. Cook to boiling and cover pot. Boil about 20 minutes or until meat is fork tender. Pull ham off bone with a fork. Add 1 to 1/2 cups of rice, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove lid and fluff with fork. The ham juices and bone flavor the rice wonderfully!

No comments: